Position Title: Communications Intern
Date to Begin: 6th September 2021
Supervised by: Communications Officer
Purpose of Position: To assist the communication team
Time Commitment: 10-20 hours per week
Closing date for applications: 29th August 2021
Location: Nairobi and remote working
Duration: 4 Months
About Siasa Place
Siasa Place is an NGO registered in 2015, based in Kenya, which is centered on engaging young people who normally shy away from politics. We recognize the importance of people’s participation not just in electoral processes but in accountable governance as well and the fact that good politics results in good policies.
This role requires an energetic, dedicated and detail-oriented person who can manage multiple tasks. This individual is a team-player with an entrepreneurial spirit, willingness to learn and ability to manage multiple tasks while adapting to shifting priorities. Depending on skill set, this individual will assist with communications tasks including, but not limited to: writing and editing, photo and video production and editing, web and social media analytics, social media content, graphic design, media relations, digital asset management, event coordination and other communications and administrative support tasks as assigned. Ideal candidates will be energetic, inventive, hard-working, social media and web-savvy, self-driven and brimming with ideas about creative ways to engage audiences in the organization’s mission.
While assisting with a wide range of projects, the communications intern will gain hands-on experience and training in many aspects of outreach and youth engagement in governance, while also gaining a good understanding of working with a non-profit organization. Internships are generally scheduled during Siasa Place’s operating hours (9am through 5pm, Monday through Friday).
Ideal candidate is a recent graduate (graduated within the past year) or an undergraduate/ graduate/diploma student in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, digital filmmaking, digital media, graphic design or a development-related field.
Applicants will provide support in the following areas. As no single applicant is likely to have all of the following skills, applicants with experience in at least 2-3 of these main areas, and a willingness to expand their skill set should feel comfortable applying.
- Social Media:
- Draft and organize social media content to promote SP blogs, videos and media coverage on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Tik Tok and Instagram.
- Contribute to social media quantitative and qualitative analytics reporting.
- Create and coordinate content for social media campaigns and observances with assistance from the communication officer
- Monitor and research influencers, trending topics and tools.
- Source content from staff, online research and news around Kenya, Africa and the world.
- Maintaining and updating Siasa Place social media platforms with guidance from the communications strategic plan and calendar.
- Assist in general social media planning, research, reporting and coordination as assigned for Siasa Place Programmes.
- Coordinate with guests and moderate social media conversations (Twitter spaces, chats, Facebook Live e.t.c)
- Live Tweeting/ sharing of information.
- Social Media Support and for events and programmes.
- Assist with preparation of social media reports.
- Miscellaneous Communications.
- Taking notes during meetings.
- Communications support as assigned.
- Project Specific Tasks
- Be a point person on tasks related to implementing the Communications Strategic plan for Siasa Place related to social media.
- Assist in creating and editing short videos for our social media platforms.
- Assist and serve as liaison with programme field events in communications capacity
- Assisting staff with tracking, formatting and archiving reviews, media and other documents.
- Reviewing and editing of articles sent in by Writers before they are shared with the Director for final review and approval.
- Weekly staff meeting and share report of weekly activities
- Planned field events and forums (to be communicated in advance).
The intern must have/be:
- Actively engaged on social media and have knowledge working with Social Media Tools (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, Mail Chimp, WordPress, Google+, etc.) with active accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and TikTok.
- A commitment to work 10-20 hours per week for four months.
- A commitment to the mission and vision of Siasa Place.
- Passion for effective communication and utilizing various tools to deliver messaging
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented individuals with superior written, verbal and organizational skills.
- The ability to work independently and with others – especially volunteers, donors, partners and vendors.
- Dependability, flexibility, and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- The ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
- Video editing skills are an added advantage.
Interested applicants to apply through this link: https://bit.ly/3mySpdT